This event has been cancelled.
The best part of winter in New England is cozying up to a warm fire with a hearty, homemade soup! Learn how to create traditional, warming soups and stews that are easy to recreate in the comfort of your own kitchen. Why bundle up and battle the elements to eat out, when you have the skills to create a delicious meal at home?
In this lively, hands-on cooking class you will learn how to utilize the produce and products of local farmers and artisans. Guided by Chef Liz, you will create an exciting three-course meal based on seasonal, local food, and increase your expertise in the kitchen through new knife skills, techniques, and flavor profiles.
All cooking classes at Appleton Farms are BYOB. Feel free to bring your own wine and/or beer.
Come ready to roll up your sleeves and get cooking! See below the dates, times and menus.
- Wednesday, January 8 | 6-8PM
- Wednesday, January 29 | 6-8PM
- Wednesday, February 5 | 6-8PM
- Wednesday, February 26 | 6-8PM
- Curried Coconut, Chicken and Sweet Potato soup
- New England Fish Chowder
- Tuscan Ribolitta
- Quinoa and Veggie Stew
- Spicy Corn and Red Pepper Chowder
- Chicken and White Bean Stew
Both menus can be made vegetarian, but not gluten-free or vegan. To request a vegetarian option or to inquire about allergies, please email email@example.com if you have allergy questions. Please note that Appleton Farms is not a gluten or nut-free facility and there's always a slight risk of cross contamination.
Our hands-on cooking classes are structured as a group learning experience; you’ll work with other students to create a seasonal meal led by our professional chef instructors. We focus on learning new cooking styles and techniques to increase your confidence and enjoyment in your own kitchen. Here are a few things to know before booking a class with us:
- Each class is centered on the local, seasonal farmers, so menus may change slightly based on what’s available the day of the event.
- During each class, you’ll learn 2 or 3 recipes, you’ll work together as a group to create them. Class sizes are small; no more than 8-12 people per class.
- Classes are usually 2 hours long, unless otherwise noted.
- Please be prepared to be on your feet, standing at a table, and cooking for the duration of class.
- We recommend comfortable, non-slip, and closed-toe shoes.
Tickets: $72 for Trustees member and $90 for Non-Trustees Members. Members must bring their current member card and number. Join The Trustees and save! Members save between 20-40% off all classesat Appleton Farms.
About Chef Liz
Liz Walkowicz is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America and has taught private cooking classes for more than 20 years. A longtime culinary professional, she was the Executive Chef for Mullen Advertising and Culinary Director of Eurostoves. Presently, she followed her love of baking to Honeycomb Bakery in Hamilton, MA. She is passionate using local and sustainable products and produce in her classes and is thrilled to continue teaching at her favorite farm!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Please book in advance: All attendees MUST book in advance join a program. Many classes sell out so we recommend booking at least two (2) weeks in advance. If you’d like to join a wait list for a class, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Program Confirmations: We do not have physical tickets for our programs. You will receive a confirmation receipt after purchasing the class and we will email you 1-2 days in advance with additional information. There is no need to bring a printed confirmation to class.
- Last minute bookings: If you’re booking your ticket less than 48 hours in advance of a program, we ask that you please email email@example.com to give us a heads up so we can alert the chef. In some cases, our chefs will need to prep several days in advance and will not be able to accommodate last minute bookings.
- Program Refunds/Cancellations: In the event that a program is cancelled due to severe weather, low enrollment, or other circumstances, we will notify you as soon as possible by email and issue you a full refund within 14 days of the cancellation. If you cannot attend a program as planned, contact firstname.lastname@example.org at least 7 days prior to the start of the program to receive a full refund or transfer to another date/class. Refunds and/or class transfers will not be granted for registration cancellations placed fewer than 7 days before the start of the program. There are no refunds for missed classes. Appleton Farms reserves the right to change program locations, schedules, or instructors when necessary.
- Where to park: When you arrive at the farm, go right at the fork (towards Farm Offices) and park in the lot next to the Old House / Farm Offices. Enter through the front door of the white farm house (the Old House) where you will be greeted.
- Buy out a class/private classes: Have a group that wants to take a class together? We have options to buy out our classes and/or create public private versions. Email email@example.com for more information.
This event is part of the Appleton Cooks! program. For more information about Appleton Cooks! and similar events please click here.