- Fitness level 2: Easy Active
Great for newcomers to outdoor adventures that are ready to move.
- Skill level 1: Beginner
I am intimidated by or have never used a topographical map, compass, or GPS.
- Group size: 10
During this field outing, our instructors will help you understand the information provided on your map, the proper use of your compass and how to put the two together while planning your trip and on the trail. We will cover the tricks of the trade relating to back country navigation as we apply our knowledge on the trail establishing a route, navigating the route and making necessary adjustments in the field.
- Learn how to read topographic lines and other basic features on a map
- Learn how to orient a map to match the environment both with and without a compass
- Learn basic compass features and how to utilize the map with a compass
- Learn how to plot your current position on your map
- Use a map & compass to navigate to new locations
- Build confidence in your navigation skills
Bring to class:
- 2 Liters of Water - At least two one-liter water bottles, such as a Nalgene bottle, or a large hydration bladder, such as a Camelbak.
- Daypack - Large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Hiking Boots
- Lunch & Snacks
- Hydration Compatible Day Pack - 1000-2000 cubic inches with 70-100 oz water bladder
- Personal Compass
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
Provided by REI:
- Group First Aid Kit
- Maps - Local course area maps.