- Fitness level 1: Relaxed
Outdoor learning at its most relaxed with minimal prerequisite fitness.
- Skill level 1: Beginner
If you have had little to no previous experience with the activity or skill, this is the level for you. In these classes, instructors focus on teaching you basic skills and encouraging best practices for safety, comfort, and enjoying the outdoors.
- Group size: 10
Cameras don't take pictures, people do. But cameras are not always easy to understand. Join REI Outdoor School's photography instructors out in the field as we teach techniques enabling you to turn everyday snapshots into beautiful compositions. You'll learn to see beyond your primary subject so that everything in the frame improves the image. We'll analyze numerous photographs as we discuss composition techniques, including eliminating distractions, utilizing human subjects, and using leading lines and the Rule of Thirds to create more dynamic images. Begin to shoot with an eye that draws the viewer's attention into a vibrant and stimulating photograph. Photographers of all levels using film or digital cameras are encouraged to attend. Bring your camera along with its owner's manual.
- Learn to frame photos to achieve beautiful effects and to go beyond simple snap-shots.
- Eliminate distractions, utilize human subjects, apply the techniques of Rule of Thirds and leading lines to create vibrant, exciting images.
- Learn about great outdoor locations for photos in your region.
- Learn basic hiking techniques.
Bring to class:
- At least 2 Liters of Water - Water bottles or hydration bladder.
- Daypack - Large enough to carry water, food and layers.
- Extra batteries
- Lunch & Snacks
- Owners Manual
- Personal Camera
- Camera Lenses, Filters, Flashes & Camera Bag
- Camp Chair - Bring a chair that can fit in your pack or is easy to carry.
- Hydration Compatible Day Pack - 1000-2000 cubic inches with 70-100 oz water bladder
- Lip Balm/Protection
- Rain Gear - Waterproof/resistant jacket, pants and hat.
- Sun Protection - Lip balm, sunscreen, wide-brim hats, etc.
Provided by REI: