Are you ready for a challenge this summer? Kids in the KITCHEN Summer Challenge at the KITCHEN at the Boston Public Market is an one-of-a-kind, hands-on learning experience for young chefs. Each day of programming is an opportunity to learn a new cooking skill, make connections between local food and farming, and have fun! As a property of the Trustees, Massachusetts’ premier land trust non-profit organization, the KITCHEN is uniquely situated to connect kids to the artisans and farmers at the Boston Public Market and to teach culinary skills to last a lifetime.
Each session includes creative, engaging activities, tours of the Market, and a full cooking class all led by our Chef Educator and assistants. Classes will concentrate on mastering specific skills around a different daily topic. Classes include a snack and lunch (kids eat what they cook for lunch)!
- 8:30-9:00 am: Welcome games/drawing/etc.
- 9:00-10:00 am: Learning activity
- 10:00-10:15 am: Snack sourced from BPM: veggies and dip, fruit, jam, cheese, crackers, popcorn
- 10:15-10:45 am: Tour of the market & meet the BPM farmer or vendor
- 11:00 am-12:00 pm: Hands-on cooking class, working as teams to create a full meal (lunch)
- 12:00-12:30 pm: Lunch and discussion
- 12:30 PM: Pickup
Classes are offered Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 9:00 am to 12:30 pm. Sign up by the day or sign up for the whole week and get a special bonus gift from the KITCHEN plus a “Master Chef' certificate for mastering the whole week of classes. Dates, topics, menus and ages detailed below.
Week 1: July 15, 16, and 17 | Down on the Farm | Ages 6-8
- Get to know your farmer this week in the KITCHEN! Learn how to cook using the healthiest and most delicious seasonal produce sourced from the farmers at the Boston Public Market. Young chefs will learn about sustainable farming practices from the experts at Siena, Stillman’s, and Chestnut farms as well as Red’s Best in the Market while perfecting new recipes to take home and share with the whole family!
- Monday: Veggie sushi and summer berry sauce over Crescent Ridge ice cream.
- Tuesday: Chicken fried rice with local veggies and quick berry tarts with English pastry cream.
- Wednesday: Local fish tacos with pico de gallo and chipotle crema with Mexican chocolate ganache and fresh fruits.
Week 2: July 22, 23, and 24 | Cooking Around the World | Ages 6-8
- Travel around the world on a culinary tour without leaving Boston! This week we'll learn how to cook globally and source locally. Young chefs will cook recipes from different cultures and learn new culinary techniques. Divided by meals, each class will feature recipes from around the world to challenge preconceptions about food and cooking and to broaden young minds. Each day will feature a trip into the Market to learn about sourcing local ingredients for two global recipes.
- Monday: Breakfast theme - Veggie and egg crepes from France vs. Curry potato dosas from India.
- Tuesday: Lunch theme - Veggie and cheese empanadas from Argentina vs. Australian beef hand pies.
- Wednesday: Dinner theme - Pasta with handmade red sauce from Italy vs. veggie lo mein from China.
Week 3: July 29, 30, and 31 | Baking Intensive | Ages 6-8
- Topic: This week, young pastry chefs learn new skills in this baking intensive series. Hands-on learning at its best, these classes will concentrate on using local ingredients in baking and the chemical processes involved in baking.
- Monday: Pastry - chicken pot pie and chocolate creme eclairs.
- Tuesday: Breads and buns - Whole wheat bread open faced sandwich and cinnamon buns.
- Wednesday: Cakes and muffins - Zucchini muffins, summer salad and chocolate cake.
Week 4: August 5, 6 and 7 | All about Sauces | Ages 8-11
- Topic: This week, our older chefs will learn how to master sauces from France, Italy, Mexico and India. Using what they've learned, attendees will be split into two groups who will go head to head in a cooking challenge.
- Monday: French sauces - Mornay (cheese sauce) and Hollandaise sauce.
- Tuesday: Italian sauces - Alfredo and Pomodoro sauce with handmade pasta.
- Wednesday: Indian/Mexican sauces - Veggie curry served over rice and fresh salsas served with chips.
Week 5: August 12, 13 and 14 | All about Proteins | Ages 8-11
- Topic: This week, our older chefs will learn how about different proteins sourced from our partners at Chestnut Farms and Red's Best. Using what they've learned, attendees will be split into two groups who will go head to head in a cooking challenge.
- Monday: Roasted chicken with potatoes and braised chicken with fresh summer veggies
- Tuesday: Fish cakes with summer salad and soy-glazed salmon with stir-fried veggies
- Wednesday: Loaded hamburgers and skirt-steak tacos
Week 3: August 19, 20, and 21 | All about Desserts | Ages 8-11
- Topic: This week, our older chefs will learn how to master classic desserts. Using what they've learned, attendees will be split into two groups who will go head to head in a cooking challenge.
- Monday: Cakes - Vanilla cake with strawberry buttercream frosting and carrot cake with cream cheese frosting (Seasonal pasta dish for lunch)
- Tuesday: Ice cream - Ice cream - Strawberry ice cream and vanilla fudge swirl (Seasonal salad for lunch)
- Wednesday: Chocolate - Molten chocolate cupcakes and chocolate chip cookies (Seasonal sandwich for lunch)
Classes are deliberately small so please register in advance to guarantee your spot.
Parents: This is a drop-off class. Once you register, we will send you liability forms to complete and return to us. We will also collect food allergy information via these forms. Your child will not be officially registered until we receive these completed forms.
Tickets: $44 for Trustees members and $55 for General Tickets (non-members). Join The Trustees and receive 20%-50% off all classes, workshops, and events at The KITCHEN and all Trustees properties. Scholarships available. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about scholarships.