The Farm Crew at Appleton is a learning and working experience. Farm Crew will be involved in all aspects of organic vegetable production of 24 acres for about 600 shareholders. Three to five crew are hired each year, and the crew positions are filled on a rolling basis beginning in the fall.
Farm Crew at Appleton Farms can participate in the Eastern Massachusetts Collaborative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training (CRAFT) program, as well as the Northeast Organic Farming Association (NOFA) summer conference. To find out more about these organizations, click on these links:
Farm Crew Responsibilities:
- General farm work: planting, seeding, weeding, hoeing, harvesting, post harvest vegetable handling, cleanup, building and grounds projects, special farm projects. Please note that CSA apprentices do not work in livestock operations.
- Tractor work: each apprentice will be trained in the safe operation and maintenance of one of the CSA’s tractor and its implements, and will also gain familiarity with much of the equipment used by the CSA crew.
- Shareroom hours: Each apprentice has the option to manage the share room for a week at a time on a rotating schedule over the course of the season. The responsibilities in the shareroom include stocking, checking in shareholders and ensuring a positive experience for visitors as well as managing share room staff.
- We strongly encourage Farm Crew members to return for a second season at the CSA. This is a huge benefit for both the apprentices and the farm managers. To incentivize a two year commitment from our Farm Crew members we offer the the option to take on more responsibility, such as managing the greenhouse, pick-you-own fields, or tractor cultivation. Compensation is adjusted accordingly.
Farm Crew Work Schedule:
- April to October
- Mondays – Fridays 7AM to 5PM during height of season. 15 minute morning break and one hour paid lunch.
- One Saturday a month (8AM-12Noon) during the height of the growing season (May-September).
- Optional evening hours working share distribution
Farm Crew Qualifications:
- Ability to handle physically strenuous, repetitive tasks in all weather. Ability to work bending over for hours at a time each day. Farm Crew members should also be able to lift 50 lbs
- Farm Crew members should possess the ability to work quickly, and desire to learn to work faster.
- Good communication skills, sense of humor, upbeat attitude.
- Detail-oriented and punctual
- A valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Previous farming experience is a plus.
Farm Crew Compensation:
- Compensation for first year Farm Crew members is $11-12 per hour depending on experience.
- Farm Crew members have the option to participate in employer sponsored health insurance.
- Housing may be available for a few Farm Crew members either on-farm or at a property 4 miles from the farm. Rent is $50/week and includes all utilities and internet.
- Farm produce: as much farm grown produce as the Farm Crew member can use.
- Training: access to planning documents and records, farmer’s library; farm safety training; tractor operation and maintenance training; option to participate in eastern Mass CRAFT program (emasscraft.org); option to attend NOFA summer conference, and other events as they arise; continued consulting and assistance with post apprenticeship job placement if desired.
- Time off: one week unpaid vacation, usually in July or August; 2 paid days sick time.
- Free admission to all Trustees properties, including nearby Crane Beach.
To apply for the Farm Crew, send letter, resume and references to:
Appleton Farms CSA
Andrew Lawson, CSA Manager
219 County Road
Ipswich, MA 01938